Make sure you read the text extracts before the lessons.
Monday reading questions.
After reading the text, answer these questions in your books. Remember to answer in full sentences and use the non-negotiables presentation and punctuation. We will mark your answers in the afternoon zoom sessions.
- Write a summary of the text. Remember this is an overview of the key points and should only be two or three sentences long.
- Why was Bruno speaking in a polite tone?
- Why might Bruno think he is being sent away?
- Bruno is ‘marching towards her’ when he sees his mother. How is he walking? What does this say about how he might be feeling?
- What does the word ‘imitate’ mean?
Tuesday reading questions.
- How is Bruno’s mother feeling? Find evidence to support your opinion.
- What type of family is Bruno from? Rich? Poor? What evidence is there to support your view?
- Why did the maid keep her head bowed and stay silent?
- What does the word ‘muster’ mean?
- What does the word ‘chaos’
Wednesday reading questions.
- Write a summary of the extract. Remember, key points overview and only two to three sentences.
- What time of day is ‘lightbut- no-sun-yet’?
- What gender is the narrator of this story? Boy or girl? How do you know?
- How were the invaders moving when they are described like this? ‘swept over her like water’.
Thursday reading questions.
- What facial feature is being described here? ‘there was yellow fur around his mouth.’
- ‘But they did not kill us, not there, not then.’ What does this suggest is going to happen and when?
- Carefully read all the description of the invaders. Draw and label one.
Friday reading questions.
- In your opinion, why did the narrator’s sister not cry when she was thrown to the ground?
- Read the description of the river people and the description of the no skins. Compare the vocabulary used. What does it tell you about the two different tribes?
- ‘I thought the one standing over me was Lord Death from our stories.’ Why did the narrator think this? What kind of stories do you think he had been told?
- Where do you think the men were going to be taken?