Year 2 SATs
What are SATs?
• At the end of Key Stage 1 (Year 2), children are required to be tested in different areas of Maths and English (unless they are working significantly below the national standard).
• Schools must also submit teacher assessments in Reading, Writing, Maths and Science to the government.
• The children will be assessed in reading, SPAG (spelling, punctuation and grammar) and maths. There is no test for writing, this is ongoing throughout the year.
When and how do the SATs take place?
• The school is required to administer SATs throughout
May, and all schools in England will be carrying out SATs at this time.
• If children are absent, they will have to do the test on
return to school.
• We aim to make the SATs as non-threatening as possible, therefore they will take place in KS1 classrooms, with either your child’s class or Maths group teacher organising the test or task.
How to help your child
•First and foremost, support and reassure your child that there is nothing to worry about and that they should always just try their best. Praise and encourage!
•Ensure your child has the best possible attendance at school.
•Support your child with any homework tasks.
•Reading, spelling and arithmetic (e.g. times tables) are always good to practise.
•Talk to your child about what they have learnt at school and what book(s) they are reading (the character, the plot, their opinion).
•Make sure your child has a good sleep and healthy breakfast every morning!
• Whilst SATs are statutory, teachers have been assessing your child’s progress throughout the year.
• This means that the scores that your child achieves in the SATs are just one part of the assessment process.
• Your child’s final end of year results are determined by the teacher and not the tests!
• Children find the testing period quite tiring. Please do not make them participate in ‘cramming’ or ‘tutoring’ sessions after school.
• We will be sending home a few light homework tasks each week to help.
• We are very proud of all of our lovely children in Linaker!